#1 rketi

rketi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:26 PM

RSS Feed says
"Visifire 2.0 beta Released!"
But there is no related document on the website.

#2 Matt W

Matt W

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:09 AM

RSS Feed says
"Visifire 2.0 beta Released!"
But there is no related document on the website.

I saw this too..

what happened?

Matt
vin decoder

#3 CHIRAG.N.R.

CHIRAG.N.R.

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:10 AM

Hey,

Its a mistake happened while dry run for release. I apologize for that. Release of Visifire 2.0 is imminent.
Regards,
Chirag
Team Visifire

#4 Nathan Brouwer

Nathan Brouwer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:38 PM

Hey,

Its a mistake happened while dry run for release. I apologize for that. Release of Visifire 2.0 is imminent.

Apparantly now its out and you can download it. What worries me deeply though is that, though the homepage still says "Tiny footprint (199 KB)" the binary file for Silverlight is growing to 500 KB (512,000 bytes). Considering the whole Silverlight architecture, asking the client to download another 500kb on top of your application hardly seems fair.

Not sure what the Tiny footprint still means? Its hardly tiny anymore.

on sidenote: when opening the examples accompanied in the zip file, look at the EventHandling sample. Try clicking the charts for a while and open your taskmanager. You'll see a memory footprint which is huge (at least on my computer). Clicking any serie for about 20 times made the memory usage of firefox go up to over 126mb. I know its still a beta but is this something worth noting ?

#5 CHIRAG.N.R.

CHIRAG.N.R.

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:51 PM

Hi Nathan,

The claim of Tiny footprint is still valid. Visifire 1.x's footprint was 147 KB & Visifire 2.x's footprint is 199 KB. Please note that, we mention the size of the .xap & not the dlls. Visifire 2.x inherently supports styling & theming which has added few more KBs. (FYI: Visifire 1.x dll file size was 320KB & of Visifire 2.x is 499KB)

I can comment on your sidenote only after checking it here.
Regards,
Chirag
Team Visifire

#6 CHIRAG.N.R.

CHIRAG.N.R.

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 03:24 PM

Nathan,

Confirmed, there seems to be a problem with memory footprint. We will work on it & fix soon. Thanks for reporting.
Regards,
Chirag
Team Visifire

#7 Nathan Brouwer

Nathan Brouwer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:47 AM

Chiraq, thanks for confirming. About the XAP / dll. The xap can only work in a javascript environment right? I do agree though, packaged into xap (or after deflating) the footprint is much smaller.

I've had some problems with the MouseEnter / MouseLeave behaviour in previous version (i.e. setting a different bar color / data point color on mouseover). Is that fixed in this version?

#8 somnath

somnath

Advanced Member

• Team Visifire
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:26 PM

Hi Nathan Brouwer,

Can you please explain me the exact problem regarding MouseEnter / MouseLeave?
Please try with Visifire 2.0. Let me know if you get the same problem with Visifire2.0.

Somnath

#9 Nathan Brouwer

Nathan Brouwer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:43 AM

hi Somnath,

its quite easy to reproduce. Add 2 eventhandlers to a DataPoint, mouseenter and mouseleave. In that eventhandler cast the sender to a datapoint and try changing the color.

Debugging shows that it does get to that point. But it doesn't change color.

Will try today if its solved in 2.0. About the memory leaks, are you publishing an updted version anytime soon ?

regards, Nathan

edit:
regarding Chiraq's quote on filesize:

(FYI: Visifire 1.x dll file size was 320KB & of Visifire 2.x is 499KB)

Visifire 1.x : 264 KB (270,336 bytes)
Visifire 2.x : 500 KB (512,000 bytes)

I still consider that quite a big change. :)

#10 vivek

vivek

Advanced Member

• Team Visifire
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:43 AM

Hi Nathan,

I want to confirm you that Visifire 1.x doesn't support rerendering from Managed code. So if you try changing any property in a Mouse event, it won't effect.
Visifire 2.x supports rerendering from Managed code as well as Javascript. The problem which you have mentioned about Mouse events will not occur in Visifire 2.x. Please try attaching events (MouseEnter/MouseLeave), it will work fine.

Yes we are working on the memory leak issue. It will be fixed very soon.

Regards,
Vivek
Team Visifire

#11 CHIRAG.N.R.

CHIRAG.N.R.

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:43 PM

Hi Nathan,

We are refactoring the code in tandem with the big fixes. Refactoring should help Visifire to shed some flab out.

BTW, I had left a comment on your blog, wonder if you could to address it.
Regards,
Chirag
Team Visifire

#12 Nathan Brouwer

Nathan Brouwer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:03 PM

Hi Nathan,

I want to confirm you that Visifire 1.x doesn't support rerendering from Managed code. So if you try changing any property in a Mouse event, it won't effect.
Visifire 2.x supports rerendering from Managed code as well as Javascript. The problem which you have mentioned about Mouse events will not occur in Visifire 2.x. Please try attaching events (MouseEnter/MouseLeave), it will work fine.

Ah yeah, about the rerendering, I knew that. Sorry for bringing it up. It will probably work in the 2.0 version but we're still migrating our old code to the new one. I think you took out all string properties and changed them into typed ones, which is a good thing ofcourse but we built a generic chart builder using our own xml code and transfering that into visichart code. Anyway, it leaves us some refactoring. By tomorrow I can probably update you on the mouseenter / mouseleave issue but I dont except any problems.

Hi Nathan,

We are refactoring the code in tandem with the big fixes. Refactoring should help Visifire to shed some flab out.

BTW, I had left a comment on your blog, wonder if you could to address it.

Good to hear that. I hope you dont mind me mentioning the file size, no pun intended you see. Its just that considering the whole Silverlight model, we have to focus on file size a lot. The whole app were building is just under 2 megs and having a charting component take up allmost a fourth of that seems weird.

Your component still beats the sh*t out of the Microsoft one anyway. Keep up the good work on that.

And yeah, I did your comment on my blog. I have no idea about printing. I did leave some emails with both Scott Guthrie and Jesse Liberty but both of them basically tell me to be patient. As you can obviously see on the silverlight forums, printing support is vital. Hopefully they will supply a good implementation of that very soon. I can imagine you also being quite eagered of a printing support solution. Though, while you're also supporting WPF you might want to consider converting XAML into XPS and presenting that into the browser. Or convert the XPS into PDF. There are few open source components which can actually do that.

#13 Nathan Brouwer

Nathan Brouwer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:05 AM

ok. Allmost done with the refactoring. Some thing we notice:

- AxisLabels() { Enabled = false; } doesnt work;
- the tooltip sometimes appears behind the main grid which is weird because a tooltip should be on top of everything;
- the tooltip positions itself wrong, sometimes it falls out of the grid area making it not fully visible;
- Performance is much much worse in this release. Building charts takes noticeably longer (actually, its just slow) and the hover on tooltip lags;

#14 vivek

vivek

Advanced Member

• Team Visifire
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:27 AM

Hi Nathan,

We are working on the performance issue currently. AxisLabels Enabled problem is fixed. It will be released soon.
We are trying to reproduce the problem with ToolTip. Could you please elaborate on the ToolTip issue a bit.

Regards,
Vivek
Team Visifire

#15 Nathan Brouwer

Nathan Brouwer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:31 PM

Hi Nathan,

We are working on the performance issue currently. AxisLabels Enabled problem is fixed. It will be released soon.
We are trying to reproduce the problem with ToolTip. Could you please elaborate on the ToolTip issue a bit.

actually we just reverted our codes back to the 1.x one. so its difficult to reproduce it again. we'll await the next 2.0 update and Ill inform you on the tooltip issue. Basically, it happend when you hover over a datapoint close to the x-axis. sometimes the tooltip disappears / falls out of the chart canvas.

#16 somnath

somnath

Advanced Member

• Team Visifire
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:21 PM

Hi,

Visifire 2.0.1 beta is released. Kindly go through the blog post here for more info.
You can download the latest copy of Visifire here.

Thanks for using Visifire.

Somnath

#17 Nathan Brouwer

Nathan Brouwer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:43 AM

Hi Nathan,

Vivek,

as a follow up. I've updated our code to support the new version (2.0.1) and here are my findings:
- speed is better though the old one still feels faster
- tooltip issues are fixed though resizing the chart doesn't resize the tooltip. any thoughts on that? now we have small charts which are practically covered by the tooltip
- mouseenter / mouseleave: this actually works in the new version but not satisfiable at all. We have a chart (stackedcolumn) with about 50 datapoints. I set the mouse enter / leave using the following code:

Datapoint creation:
p.MouseEnter +=new EventHandler<MouseEventArgs>(p_MouseEnter);
p.MouseLeave += new EventHandler<MouseEventArgs>(p_MouseLeave);

and then:
void p_MouseLeave(object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
{
((DataPoint)sender).Color = new SolidColorBrush(ColorHelper.ToColor("#FFFFFF"));
}

void p_MouseEnter(object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
{
((DataPoint)sender).Color = new SolidColorBrush(ColorHelper.ToColor("#000000"));
}

As mentioned this works (the colors are only for reference :) ), but its really slow. Moving your mouse over the datapoints actually leave the colors trailing. Also, CPU usage is going skyhigh with this enabled. Any thoughts / comments on that?

#18 vivek

vivek

Advanced Member

• Team Visifire
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,588 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:04 PM

Hi Nathan,

We will provide an option to customize ToolTip in future.

Regarding the MouseEnter/MouseLeave events, we are aware about the issue if Color property is used in Mouse over to a DataPoint. We will fix it soon.

We have released a new version of Visifire i.e Visifire 2.0.3 beta. Please check the blog post here.

Regards,
Vivek
Team Visifire

#19 Nathan Brouwer

Nathan Brouwer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:41 PM

Hi Nathan,

Regarding the MouseEnter/MouseLeave events, we are aware about the issue if Color property is used in Mouse over to a DataPoint. We will fix it soon.

We have released a new version of Visifire i.e Visifire 2.0.3 beta. Please check the blog post here.

Vivek,

any updates on the issues mentioned above? Any new releases coming up sometime soon ?

regards, Nathan

#20 CHIRAG.N.R.

CHIRAG.N.R.

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:04 PM

Nathan,

This would take time, most probably in next week's release on 19th Dec.

We have fixed this & will be included in tomorrow's release.
Regards,
Chirag
Team Visifire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users